FPCC Introductory social rides.
These rides are aimed at Road Cyclists who want a leisurely paced ride of 25 to 30 miles. They are a great way to get into group road riding, the pace is of the slowest rider and the emphasis is on social, there will be a cafe stop and all are welcome. The total ride time including a cafe stop will be around 3 hours.
The rides usually take place on the first Sunday of every month, meeting at Potters Bar to leave at 9.30am. MEETING POINT MAP
The next introductory ride is on Sunday 4th February 2018 and will leave Potters Bar at 9.30am.
These rides will suit you if you’re confident cycling on the road, are used to your bike and are looking to get into group riding. Please bring at least one full water bottle. Some cash for coffee, some ‘pocket food’ – energy bars, banana or whatever you prefer. You should also have a spare inner tube, tyre levers and pump and a small multitool, these can be in a small saddlebag or your jersey pockets. You won’t need a bike lock and if you need a rucsac you’re carrying too much!
Some ‘Basics’ for our Group introductory Rides.
- We try to keep the groups small. Bigger than 8 and we will split into smaller groups.
- We ride two abreast in a neat bunch unless the ride leader shouts to single out due to road or traffic conditions.
- You’ll be riding close to the rider in front but you should avoid overlapping your front wheel with the rear wheel of the rider in front of you.
- Try to look ahead and not fixate on the wheel in front.
- The ride leader will either point or shout out obstacles ahead such as potholes, parked cars, pedestrians in the road etc.
- Always ride with your hands on your hoods or in the drops, so you can quickly and easily brake when riding closely behind another rider.
There’s usually several experienced club members within each group to ensure everyone is safe and comfortable.
You are welcome to just turn up on the day but if possible please let us know via our Contact Us page so we have an idea of expected numbers.